ith the resumption of the diplomatic relations with Japan in 1953, the Republic of Austria acquired in 1955 in the district of Minato-ku a plot with a building. As early as 1968, it became apparent that due to the hot and humid climate in Tokyo the buildings would have to replaced.
In 1973 the construction of the current buildings began.
The Japanese architect Fumihiko Maki – one of Japan’s most prestigious and most important architect, who is also Pritzker-Price awardee – was commissioned to plan and conduct the project. The Austrian architect Emmerich Simoncsics was responsible for the interior design of the residence. After a construction period of only 18 months the new embassy opened in April 1976.
The existing Japanese garden with its old trees was incorporated in the concept of architect Maki and can be considered as an integral part of the event venues of the residence.