The Murau International Music Festival (MIMF) 2018 will take place from August 17th to the 25th and will consist of a workshop program for voice and composition as well as a concert series. All composers have the opportunity to submit hitherto unpublished scores to this year’s theme of “Otherness”. The selected piece will be premiered under the artistic direction of Zane Zalis at the Gala Concert in the Mathäuskirche in Murau on August 24 and will be performed again on the repeat date of the concert on August 25. “Otherness” is a fundamental experience that shapes each and every one of us. We experience ourselves and the world on different levels and in constantly changing situations. An important role is played by our perception of others and their “otherness” or, conversely, our own “otherness”. What distinguishes us personally or as a group from others? What role does the differentiation from others play in our own identity? Under what circumstances does this distinction from others become permeable? All composers are invited to explore these and other questions on the topic of “Otherness”. We are looking forward to your contributions!
Criteria for submission:
- Work for mixed choir, string orchestra and percussion, optional soli
- Genre: open
- Length: max. 6 minutes
- Language: German or English
- Level of difficulty: intermediate
- Only unpublished, non-premiered compositions to date
- The submitted composition must be an original work. Arrangements and transcriptions are excluded from participation.
– mixed choir (SATB) – compulsory
– Soli – optional
– String orchestra (6, 6, 4, 4, 2)
– Violin 1
– Violin 2
– String bass
– Timpani plus percussion
The following is required:
- Completely edited score and individual voices as a pdf file. The vocal parts have to be made available as a piano score. The entire composition may contain absolutely no clues as to the identity of the composer.
- If the score was written with a notation program, we also ask to submit the midi file as mp3.
- A short description of the work (min. 400, max. 4000 characters incl. spaces)
- A short biography, in case of teams a short description of the team including complete mention of names of all involved, (min. 400, max. 4000 characters incl. spaces)
All scores will be submitted anonymously to the jury for evaluation.
The jury consists of the following persons (in alphabetical order):
- Michael Aschauer (Helbling Verlag)
- Günther Brück (Arts University Graz)
- Thomas Modrej (Carinthian State Conservatory)
- Jury chairman: Zane Zalis (Festival director, Winnipeg/Kanada)
The composer of the selected work will be personally informed.
The decision will be announced on www.mimf.at and the work will be presented.
The decision of the jury is final.
In addition, she or he is invited to the Gala Concert as a guest of the Festival and will be presented to the audience. Accommodation and meals in Murau are also included at the invitation of the Festival organizers.
A submission is no grounds for a legal claim.
Please submit contributions online only using the online form provided via http://www.mimf.at.
Any further questions can be addressed to Marko Zeiler by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly note that further information and any possible changes as well as the results are posted on a regular basis on http://www.mimf.at
Deadline for submission: 15 April 2018
Announcement of the results: 25 Mai 2018